FireSafeMarin 7-Day Home Challenge
Actions to save your life, protect your loved ones, prevent your home & community from burning. May 1 begins Wildfire Community Preparedness Week.
Day 1: Prepare Yourself: Sign up for fire alerts and warnings. Keep informed and know what to do to stay safe.
Day 2: Prepare for Evacuations: Make an Evacuation Plan, pack a Go-Kit, be ready to leave if an evacuation order is sent out.
Day 3: Harden Your Home: A few simple home projects can make your home resistant to ignition from burning embers - the most common cause of home destruction.
Day 4: Maintain “Zone Zero:” Removing combustible items from the first 5 feet around your house creates defensible space that could save your home. Day
Day 5: Prepare your Yard: Cut the grass, remove leaves & dead vegetation from your yard so spot fires don’t ignite and spread.
Day 6: Create a Fire-Smart Yard: Plant choice, placement & care are important factors in a fire-smart landscape. Make a plan that will interrupt the spread of fire in your yard.
Day 7: Prepare your Community: We're all in this together. Help a neighbor, join a Firewise Neighborhood, do your part in making Marin a fire adapted community.
We want to hear what you accomplished at #WildfirePrepDay or on Facebook. Sign up for the newsletter: https://www.firesafemarin.org
~posted by Point Reyes Disaster Council
Commons Connect Forums provide a virtual gathering place to those who live and work in the West Marin Community. (Access to this local online forum is limited to those who work and live in the geographical area outlined here.)
A single registration allows community members to post local events on the Community Calendar, to post items of immediate importance on Alerts, and to access all of the forums including:
- West Marin Soapbox: Campaigns, Causes, and Discussions
- Over-the-Hill-Gang: Rides and Errands
- West Marin Share: Reuse materials; share information and services - a money free zone
- West Marin Marketplace: rentals; things and services for sale
- Tending the Wild Collaborative: An Ethnobiology Project
- Local Food System Initiative: Food and garden related shares and information
- Think Local West Marin: Appreciation and applause for our neighbors
- Commons Connect Tech Support: Help with our Web site features
- Volunteering Opportunities in West Marin: Help our local non-profits